Sunday, November 9, 2014

Activism in New York

     On Friday, when I went to The Museum of the City of New York, I learned a lot about how modern day activism stemmed from New York. For example, the gay pride parade came from the stonewall riots in New York. In addition to this, we learned how New Yorkers are currently protesting bike safety. All of this makes me think that when us New Yorkers want something, we band together and make a change. 
     We also learned about the use of humor in protesting. For example, we learned that the bike safety protesters dressed up like clowns during their protests. I think they did this so people would take notice of them and their cause. In addition to this, I think that this tactic was used so onlookers would take their dedication seriously, but also so they could have a laugh and make it memorable. Overall I think this tactic is powerful because it draws attention and makes the protest memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment