Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Authors Note

Even though it is illegal in forty nine out of the fifty states, bullying still remains omnipresent. Although society has moved away from the traditional schoolyard bully, social media websites have prevented intolerance from going extinct. The reason behind this is that these websites allow people to anonymously criticize and belittle their peers. I hope that this story will teach the reader, regardless of age, about the true terrors of cyberbullying.

Through my personal experience, I was lucky to avoid being bullied via the internet, but sadly I was not able to escape the menacing intentions of my peers. Because of my personal experience, I know firsthand the degrading effects of being harassed, and mortified in public by my “friends” . In addition to that, I want this story to show readers that if you are being bullied, the only way to stop it is to take action. Many people who don’t stand up their bullies are at higher risk of depression and suicide much later in their life. This simple fact should be enough for bullying to become a felony.

Overall, I can only hope that this story is viewed as a call to action for people who haven’t spoken up, or a wake-up call for bullies. I also want to state that many people accidently say offensive things on the internet, and although they don’t  necessarily know what they are doing, it can still hurt a lot of people. Finally, you should make sure what you’re putting on the internet is appropriate and not offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment